A couple weeks ago, I found a bunch of these bamboo trays. They were $2 a piece at Goodwill and I ended up buying the 3 best looking ones. I have a bigger one of these trays (thrift score from a while back) that I use on our sofa table. Right away I thought one would be cool to make one into an unconventional wreath. I try to put some kind of seasonal wreath on our door. Or two.. darker for fall and winter, lighter for spring and summer---keep it simple..because 'aint nobody got time for that.'
Here it is! Isn't it cute?!
I bought a few springy colors of felt at the good ole Hob Lob and got to work. I cut little pendants from each color. You can see my favorite felt project to date, here.
I plugged in the hot glue gun and cut out some flower petals.
To make the center of the flower I cut a large circle and then wrapped it around itself and glued it together at the end.
The center of the red flower was done the same way as the yellow above, I just cut notches on the outside edge of the spiral
I added some leaves and made a couple more flowers. Odd numbers, is my rule, so 5 it is! I decided it would be cool to be able to change the flowers out with the season.. Like mum colored flowers for fall or cute pinwheels for summer, so I attached a piece of velcro to each flower. And then the other side of the velcro to the tray. You can buy sticky backed squares like this. Or I had strips like this that I cut to size and hot glued. Side note: I had no clue that Velcro was a brand and that its called "hook and loop". Well done branding, well done.
I placed the flowers where I wanted them on the tray and glued them down.
Here's what it looks like when I pulled the flowers back off. Now I have a wreath that can change when I want it to!
For the pendants, I cut little slits and let Nickerbean 1 "sew" them together.
Like I said, I made it for the front door but it didn't hang flat and even while snapping the photos, the wind was making it take off like a kite. No bueno.
I ended up putting it on the wall on our back porch. Tour soon, I promise. The yellow frame was actually a trim piece that we took off of our front door, years ago when we redid it. You can see it in the picture above. WE cut a huge hole in the door (gutsy, I know) and added the stained glass piece that we bought at an antique store, trimmed it up and painted it. Its my favorite DIY project of ours because I still kind of can't believe we risked it. Good job, us!
*Post contains some affiliate links.
Thanks for reading, friends!
That DIY Party
Inspiration Monday Link Party
The Creative Gallery
Show and Tell Link Party
Inspire Me Monday Link Party
LouLou Girls Fabulous Link Party
Tutorials & Tips Link Party
Talk of the Town Link Party
Moon Light and Mason Jars Link Party
DIY Like a Boss Link Party
The DIY Collective
36th Avenue Link Party
March Pretty Project Party
Weekend Retreat Link Party
The Creative Collection
Link Party Palooza
Friday Finds Link Party